My 5 Favorite Thanksgiving Day Specials

by admin on November 22, 2012

guy tech toys gadgets
It’s time for turkey again, and if you are like most guys you have two basic plans: eat too much and watch a little football on TV. Watching the Lions and Cowboys games on TV is a family tradition for me, and now that I think about it hearing a couple of muttered comments about watching tv instead of talking to family is also part of the tradition. Well, as a compromise, I think we can leave the TV off when the games aren’t on. But with the TV reserved for important things like football, you might miss out on some classic Thanksgiving TV moments, so I have compiled here for you my top 5 classic scenes from TV Thanksgiving Specials:

5)Cheers “Thanksgiving Orphans” This episode is, after Animal House, my favorite food fight of all time:

4)South Park “Starvin Marvin” Solving the problem of what to do with a plague of genetically modified Turkeys by sending them back home to Ethiopia with new pal “Starvin Marvin” encapsulates all of South Parks Weirdness, Rudeness, and Irreverence to a Thanksgiving T:

3)How I Met Your Mother “Slapsgiving”
Is seeing a sarcastic gay man get slapped in the face a Thanksgiving tradition? It should be:

2)WKRP In Cincinnati “Turkeys Away” This is for me easily the funniest Thanksgiving Day episode of all time. To commemorate Thanksgiving (and drum up publicity) the station decides to launch 20 turkeys from a helicopter. The newsman channelling the Hindenburg disaster as turkeys begin plummetting to earth is laugh out loud funny, but the best part is the ultimate Thanksgiving Day money line, “As God is my witness, I thought turkey’s could fly”.

1)A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving The number one is pretty much a given. Just like Christmas, no one does it better than Charlie Brown, so instead of a clip here’s the full Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jon Jefferson November 23, 2012 at 3:18 am

Slapsgiving and the turkey drop are a couple of my favorites too. Too bad some of these older iconic tidbits will be lost as relics of our past.

2 Lubna November 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I love Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving and also the true meaning of Christmas as explained by Linus.
Belated thanks giving greetings.

3 Doreen Pendgracs November 23, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Scott. Wow, you’ve sure assembled a great collection of classic TG TV episodes. I’d forgotten how funny Cheers & WKRP were! Those were the days for pure classic comedy that the whole family could watch together. Enjoy! :-)

4 Susan Oakes November 23, 2012 at 11:53 pm

You can’t go wrong with the Charlie Brown video and I hadn’t seen a couple of the others so thanks for sharing them Scott.

5 satinka November 24, 2012 at 3:38 pm

“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!” My personal favorite from WKRP in Cincinnati. ROFL!!!

6 Krystyna Lagowski November 24, 2012 at 10:01 pm

That WKRP show made me howl! Wish it was available on some cable channel but I can’t find it. Their Thanksgiving episode was one of their best, great writing, terrific acting and wacky plotlines. I have met so many Herb Tarlecks in my life!! Of course, no one under the age of, hm, 40 knows what the heck I’m talking about … : ) )

7 Jena Isle November 25, 2012 at 4:37 am

These are awesome Thanksgiving episodes. I love Charlie Brown, and what about some Chicken instead of Turkey for Thanksgiving? LOL.

In our corner of the world, we don’t usually have chicken and not Turkey. Thanks for sharing this poignant post.

8 Kelly Wade November 26, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Hahaha the How I Met Your Mother One is absolutely hilarious. I’m a Patriots fan, so there was pretty much nothing better than watching them kill the New York Jets on Thanksgiving!

9 Susan Cooper November 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

The holidays always bring out the sentimental part of people and we tend to curl up and watch those shows that bring us home. I know I have my favorites. Great post. :-)

10 Martin Casper November 26, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Charlie Brown is my man! There is nothing better than Chuck trying to figure out where he is…is he really in Turkey-Land or has he left the Great Pumpkin yet?